Power of 2. One to one coaching system for maths success.
£22.00 exc. VAT
Power of 2 enables anyone to make progress with their maths. The book is a coaching manual which allows anyone to deliver individual support. It teaches all the mental maths required by the new Mathematics Curriculum, and through its use enables pupils to access the full maths curriculum. Power of 2 is essentially about putting in place the building blocks of number and developing skills with mental calculations.
- Mental Maths needed for the new Mathematics Curriculum
- Access to full maths curriculum
- Building Blocks of number
- Development of mental calculation skills
Does it work?
Yes it does, but, we would say that wouldn’t we? 80% of our sales are repeat orders from schools who have ordered from us before. Thus, we know that Power of 2 has been, and continues to be, an outstanding success for all its users, producing real improvement from day one of use.
- Used by over 5,500 UK and overseas schools.
- Awareness created through word of mouth advertising.
- Huge success of the Power of 2 is due to the immense sense of achievement that a person gets when working through the book.
Who is it suitable for?
Power of 2 is ideal for anyone who benefits from repeated maths practice as all our books are designed to appeal to all age ranges. The Power of 2 book has been used with students aged 8 and upwards, right up to adult basic skills. The clear language and repetition benefits students with dyslexia and those with English as an Additional language. Students with dyscalculia benefit from the highly structured approach with clear explanations.
- Age range – infants to basic adult numeracy
- Special needs – Dyslexia, Dyscalculia
What topics does the book cover?
Power of 2 begins with teaching number bonds to 10, and then moves on to introducing doubling, halving, addition and subtraction, rounding numbers, multiplying and dividing. It then introduces fractions and looks at worded problems and time. It covers all the aspects of mental maths needed for the new Mathematics Curriculum.
- Doubling, halving
- Addition and subtraction
- Rounding, multiplying, dividing
- Fractions and worded problems
- Mental maths for the new Mathematics Curriculum
How is the book used?
Full instructions and example pages are included in each book, but essentially Power of 2 requires that each question is answered correctly on three consecutive occasions on different days. When a question is answered correctly a tick should be placed on the line, a question answered incorrectly is marked with a dot. On each page of the book there is space for working out solutions, but students should be encouraged to carry out the calculations in this book without using pen and paper. It is not intended that certain pages should be used in isolation. Power of 2 has been found to work best when it is used 4 or 5 times a week, with each session lasting for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repetition through each question is being answered correctly on three different occasions
- Questions to be answered on different days
- Achievements through tangible success
- Students encouraged to do calculations mentally
We’re very happy for you to contact us if you have any queries – we really like to get your feedback!
Is there a best way to use the book?
Effectively no; the book is designed to deal with real life situations. There are lots of different ways we’ve heard about that our books are used. Here are a few:
- Parents work through the books with their child at home
- Schools have used the books as part of buddy-schemes or peer-coaching projects
- The books are used at school and delivered by teaching assistants or volunteers.
- Prep schools use our books to boost learning for all their pupils.
… And, of course, combinations of the above.